It is hard to choose which are the best hotels in Costa Rica. There are those that are quaint and rustic, those which are luxury resorts and those that are somewhere in the middle: Costa Rica boutique hotels that may be rustic and yet they offer all the amenities (or at least most) you will find at a Costa Rica Luxury Resort.
So to make matters easier, we´ve divided our 2016 Best Hotels in Costa Rica list into categories.
Luxury Resorts in Costa Rica
Although you may find luxury resorts any place in the world, we are happy to declare that a luxury resort in Costa Rica, even if it is part of an international chain, will still hold true to Costa Rican personality. So here they are:
- Four Seasons Papagayo: recently rated by Forbes as one of the winners of the 2016 5 stars hotel, this hotel may be part of the Four Seasons’ chain, but when Four Seasons fans come to Costa Rica they undoubtedly declare that this is the best they’ve ever visited because of the friendly and amazing service, among other perks
- Andaz Papagayo by Hyatt: large resort in Costa Rica (at Papagayo) and yet, it feels like a Costa Rica boutique hotel. Service is intimate, food is the perfect fusion of typical Costa Rican food (chifrijo anyone) and international gourmet flavors, and the architecture is just breathtaking.
Costa Rica boutique hotels
In the middle between luxury resorts and low profile lodges: Costa Rica boutique hotels are in the widest category of premium hotels you will find in Costa Rica. They are personal, intimate and usually offer daily concierge services, most of the amenities you will find at a luxury resort, and unparallel location.
- Capitan Suizo: beachfront, 80s look, bohemian and 100% personal. Staff here is anything but stuffy. And the gardens are manicured to perfection. Monkeys visit the property almost every day.
- Flor Blanca Resort: beachfront, remote and luxurious. Flor Blanca is one of Costa Rica luxury boutique hotels. It is the first hotel in the area of Malpais and Santa Teresa that attracted celebrities. Most of these celebrities ended up buying properties at Santa Teresa.
- El Silencio Lodge: most definitely at the top of our favorite hotels in Costa Rica list. El Silencio is immersed within the Cloud Forest and yet only a 1.5 hour from the Juan Santamaria International Airport at San Jose. So if fitting Monteverde in your schedule is not an option because of time and difficulty of access, El Silencio is that luxury mountain hotel that offers unbelievable surroundings, delicious food and the Cloud Forest, of course. Oh, and every villa comes equipped with an outdoor Jacuzzi.
Costa Rica lodges
At the bottom of the luxury category, but without forgoing their uniqueness and awesomeness, lodges at Costa Rica are oftentimes rustic, remote and absolutely charming. The staff learns your names upon arrival and knows the type of drink you like and the activity you would probably like to do.
- Nicuesa Lodge: remote as it can be, Nicuesa is reachable by plane and then by boat only. Located at Golfo Dulce, it is one of the very few hotels in the area. It is beachfront, surrounded by red macaws, toucans, monkeys (they do come and visit so be prepared) and with access to remote National Parks.
- Tortuga Lodge: it seems that this lodge will always be on our best hotels in Costa Rica list. Rustic, prime location by one of Tortuguero canals,food that is both homey and divine and service that will make you feel welcome from the head start.
So there, this is our short list of favorite hotels on 2016. There are many newcomers that we will visit during 2017: a luxury boutique hotel immersed within the mangrove eco system, island glamtents (tents with glamour and all the comforts of a boutique lodge) and many more. We will keep you posted on which hotels become part of our Best hotels in Costa Rica 2017.
Want to see more hotel options?